Ernest Journal Issue 4
Ernest is a biannual printed journal for curious and adventurous gentlefolk.
It is a guide for those who appreciate true craftsmanship, who are fascinated by curious histories and eccentric traditions and who care more for timeless style than trends.
Ernest appeals to those of us who appreciate a craft gin cocktail as much as a hearty one-pot supper, who love the grain of wood and the smell of paper, who’d like to learn how to fly fish, brew beer in their shed and name all the constellations of the northern hemisphere. It is for people who like to whittle.
Ernest is brought to you by a passionate troupe of writers, editors and designers who love tactile design, show-stopping photography and slow journalism.
Issue 4 includes
- Listen to mysterious transmissions on short wave radio
- Delve into the darker side of tintype photography
- Investigate an anomaly in the North Sea, a micro-nation owned by a tenacious band of radio buccaneers
- Enter the bizarre and wonderful world of sound design
- Unravel the psychology of Antarctic exploration
- Discover the secrets of Schiehallion, the Scottish mountain that helped us weigh the world
- Forage for the raw ingredients to blow your own glass
- Seek out ancient Norse settlements, sail among icebergs and delve into Inuit folklore in Greenland
- Wear woollens inspired by the Heroic Age of Polar Exploration
- Venture into the marshes of northern Norway in search of elusive cloudberries
- Master the art of wild meat butchery
Ernest Journal is 160 pages, perfect bound and printed in full colour on FSC approved uncoated 140gsm and silk 170gsm paper in Bristol, UK.